One of the main questions I'm asked is how I got started with all of this photography stuff. To be honest, as I sit here trying to type this, I'm still not exactly sure how this all started. When I was younger, I had no time for all this nature stuff and I used to shrink at the thought of hiking. Nevertheless, my parents managed to drag me up a fair few hills growing up.
Starting university in Glasgow was a big turning point for me. The Scottish Highlands provided a great escape from the constant noise of the city. There is something exciting about being in a place that not many people go. (As long as you haven't ran out of food)
As my following started to grow on Instagram and Facebook, I decided to reach out to brands. This involved sending a lot of emails to any brand that was interested. To see some of my collaborations with brands, click the link here.
Here is a question and answer video which explains a bit more about what kit I bring when Wild Camping:
I'm thinking about making another one of these Q and A videos, so the more whacky the question, the better. :)
Frequently Asked Questions
What camera do you use?
What lenses do you use?
- 10-18mm lens by Canon (My favourite)
- 18-55mm lens by Canon
- 75-300mm lens by Canon (It's a bit like a sniper scope from James Bond Nightfire)
What other equipment do you use?
- Gorillapod SLR Zoom (For making the videos)
- Wireless Remote: Amazon Link - That is how I photograph an image like this
- Tent: Wildcamp Zephyros 1 (It's a beast, I would highly recommend)
- Bag: Osprey Aether 70 (Expensive but it's the real deal)
- Shoes: Totally depends on the location but recently I have started packing an extra pair of running shoes. This is basically to make it easier to run about taking photos at sunrise.
- Tripod: Manfrotto - Compact Action aluminium tripod with hybrid head, black (Mine broke because I used it as a washing line on the Isle of Skye but it still works well)
What are you're favourite books?
- I'm glad you asked! Here is my list:
- Nelson Mandela - Long Walk to Freedom (This book was an absolute game changer for me in so many ways)
- #AskGaryVee - Gary Vaynerchuk (Highly valuable social media and marketing advice)
- Endurance - Shackleton's Incredible Voyage (Without a doubt the most epic adventure story I have ever read, you couldn't make it up)
- Mastery - George Leonard
My hard drive just crashed and I've lost all my data and photos. Totally panicking now because I don't have a backup, what do I do?
Ouchhh, we've all been there. Fortunately, I know the wizard of the data recovery world. His name is Andy Watson, here is a link to his website: http://www.datarecovery.co.uk
I've always wanted a longboard made out of whisky barrels, what do I do?
Check out my mate Neil Mckinlay's work. He makes a lot of cool stuff out of wood:
That's all for now folks, if you've made it this far then hats off to you! :)
'It always seems impossible until it's done' - Nelson Mandela
Dan - 21/04/2017